It has now been almost 3 months since we first started this blog, documenting our hope to start a family. A couple of days ago, we went in for the very first insemination attempt and now we are just waiting it out until I can take a home pregnancy test in two weeks. I have to say, it was quite a strange feeling to be sitting in a waiting room trying to slowly defrost the little vial of sperm in your hands. The procedure went well and was only as unpleasant as I had already expected.
Obviously we’re hoping for a positive result but to be honest, neither of us feel like it will be. I know it sounds stupid but I just don’t ‘feel’ pregnant and I kind of thought I would at least feel a bit different. Given that there’s only a 12-15% chance that it will work I guess it’s probably best that we are expecting the test to be negative.
- GP appointment: $55 – This consultation was to get a referral to Queensland Fertility Clinic, depending on your doctor the fee can be bulk billed.
- Elevit (100pk): $67 – These multi vitamins aren’t exactly essential but as your doctor will tell you they contain all the good stuff to help develop a growing baby during pregnancy. It’s recommended you begin taking these 3 months before conception.
- Fertility specialist appointment: $128 – This consultation is where you first meet with your ongoing fertility doctor and decide on what path you would like to take in regards to IUI, IVF etc.
- AMH blood test: $75 – This test is to find out your ovarian reserve.
- Donor registration fee: $525 – This is a one off fee that enables you to gain access to the QFG donor program. If you are planning to use an unknown sperm donor, you will need to pay this.
- Fertility specialist follow up appointment: $100 – This consultation is to find out the results of your AMH blood test and to also make plans for your first insemination (if you have already chosen your donor sperm).
- Donor sperm: $1900 – Each vial of donor sperm is $950 and we purchased 2 vials.
- Planning and management of patient fee : $120
- Ovulation monitoring fee: $530
- Intrauterine Insemination procedure: $250
Total cost so far: $3750 – There are a few other small expenses such as city parking, home pregnancy tests etc but the ones I’ve listed are the more direct costs.