The waiting game has now begun

As I mentioned in my last post, ‘egg pick up’ was scheduled for January 28th. I made a plan to wake up early this day so that I could have breakfast before beginning the fasting for 6 hours. I hate being hungry!

We arrived at the hospital 20 minutes early to account for us getting lost and confused about where we were supposed to be. We didn’t have any trouble at all and I was admitted at about 1pm. I said goodbye to Candice and they took me up to level 4 to meet the anaesthetist and get changed into the ever so flattering backless gown and hair net.

I was a bit nervous but felt a lot more at ease when our doctor came to chat with me. I’m not really that comfortable with her, I think it was just because it was a familiar face in a sterile environment. A few minutes later she led me into the theatre room which to me seemed unnecessarily HUGE. A nurse helped me onto the table and they all (about 7 people) chatted casually about the traffic that morning while I was silently freaking out. Then the scientist dude came in, confirmed my name and date of birth (about the 10th time someone had asked me that day), and asked me how many eggs we were going to be collecting that day. I replied “um, 6 or 7 I think” while nervously darting my eyes back and forth between him and that one familiar face, our doctor, in the room. Then he flashed me the warmest and most comforting smile I had seen that day and wished me good luck. It actually helped a lot. The anaesthetist came in and put the drip into my hand, the nurse put the oxygen over my face and I was pretty relieved that soon I would be completely unaware of what was going on.

An hour later I woke up in the recovery room where a nurse had a look to make sure I wasn’t bleeding heavily and that there wasn’t any significant pain. I felt sleepy but besides some period type cramping I felt fine. I was discharged at around 3.30pm after I had eaten and been to the toilet without any drama. Before we left the nurse told us that a total of 6 eggs had been collected and that I would need to call my doctor in the morning to find out how many had fertilised throughout the night. I was also given a months supply of pessaries which I need to take morning and night. I’ll be the first to admit I had no idea what a progesterone pessary was before this whole IVF process started. They are used in women undergoing fertility treatment and the purpose of them is to help prepare the uterus to receive and maintain a fertilised egg. There are 2 types I need to take. The morning one is a gel that gets squeezed in there and the other is a little waxy bullet shaped one that you insert at night. Unfortunately both can be quite messy. I realise a lot of this might be a little too much information but the whole reason I started this blog was to document everything. Before I started writing on here, I really struggled to find many lesbian baby making blogs that weren’t just all rainbows and sunshine. I do plan to write down all the gritty information because it’s our real life and obviously it’s not always going to be pretty.

Candice drove us home where I crashed out on our bed for an hour or so. When I woke up the stomach cramping was a fair bit worse but I would definitely still call it mild. Some panadol and a hot water bottle helped a fair bit.
The next morning I called the doctors office to get the verdict on how many fertilised eggs she had to work with. All night I kept having bad dreams that there were none so I actually felt really sick while I was on hold. However, I was relieved to find out that 4 out of the 6 had actually done their job and that embryo transfer was booked in for 8am Friday 31st. Best birthday present ever! The whole week I had been waiting for something to go wrong and now it all seemed to be going to plan. The next morning though I had a missed call and voice mail from our doctors office asking me to urgently call them back. There were many thoughts running through my head but the one on top was that they were calling to inform me that all my embryos had died. Turns out they just wanted to move the embryo transfer from 8am to 8.15am. Seriously receptionist, what is wrong with you?! Why didn’t you mention that in the voicemail so I could avoid the tears and the uncontrolled shaking of my hands as I dialled your phone number? So everything was back on track, though I guess technically it was never off.
Friday morning we were up early to avoid traffic and once again arrived a tad early. Candice was allowed to come into the theatre room this time so she also had to get dressed like a fool though she had the privilege of wearing underwear. 
Once we were taken into a small theatre room, the scientist came in with our embryo chart and told us that all 4 were doing quite well but we had 1 that was a ‘text book’ perfect embryo! That one was clearly the winner and obviously the one we would be transferring. Our doctor put in the speculum (fucking ouch) while the scientist went into the lab in the next room to collect the embryo. We made some small chit chat at this point which was a bit awkward. Finally the scientist came back with our embryo inside a long catheter type tube and quickly put it through the speculum and that was it! All over. I think we were only in that room for a total of 7 minutes. We couldn’t leave until we got the all clear through the intercom that the embryo was definitely not still in the catheter tube. It was all a little funny and strange waiting in silence and then hearing a very serious voice come through the speakers, “all clear here”. I was then discharged again and told to call the lab in the morning to find out if the other 3 embryos made it though the freezing process. Candice called the next day and got the best news; all 3 had been successfully frozen! It’s such a relief to know that if this month fails then we have 3 more before I would need to start a fresh IVF cycle. I still have bruises on my stomach from the last round so I would love to avoid having to do the injections again. 
So that’s where we are at right now. I won’t be able to take a home pregnancy test as the fertility drugs will give me a false positive result so I have to go in to QGF and have a blood test. We would find out the results the same day so at least it won’t be a long wait. The date our doctor would like me to do this is 2 weeks from the transfer date – February 14th. It would be the sweetest thing for us to find out on valentines day that we are going to be parents. I know I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again – please cross everything you have for us. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s